2022 Land Preservation Parks and Recreation Plan (LPPRP)
Every five years, The Department of Parks and Recreation updates its Land Preservation Parks and Recreation (LPPRP) to identify current recreational trends, address service provision challenges, and update goals and priorities to improve countywide recreation opportunities.
As a part of the 2022 update, we are currently seeking feedback from the community. We invite you to tour our interactive virtual engagement studio to leave your responses. This interactive studio will be open for use through Tuesday, November 30. A recording of the virtual meeting is below and includes directions for how to navigate the interactive engagement tool.
Your involvement will help us understand how The Department of Parks and Recreation, Prince George’s County can better serve the community. We appreciate and value your feedback! We want to ensure that we are doing everything to make your recreational experience the best it can be for you and your family.
Your participation will:
- Aid in the direction of future programs.
- Shed light on the public planning process.
- Help us obtain feedback on the use of county-owned parks, recreation, facilities, and programming
The Land Preservation Parks and Recreation Plan (LPPRP) provides goals, objectives, and policy guidelines for the delivery of parkland, open space, and recreation opportunities in Prince George’s County. The LPPRP specifies standards to help identify the need for parkland and recreation facilities in an ongoing effort to provide equitable opportunity and benefit to county patrons.
The Department of Recreation and Parks is in the process of developing its 2022 Land Preservation Parks and Recreation Plan which serves the following purposes:
- Guides policies and actions throughout Prince George’s County to ensure that the recreational needs of County residents and visitors will be met in ways that are efficient and cost-effective.
- Emphasizes the need for preserving and protecting valuable natural, agricultural, cultural, and historical resources in Prince George’s County.
- Contributes to the preparation of state plans, policies, and programs for land preservation and recreation.
- Helps ensure that local actions in Prince George’s County related to land preservation and recreation are an integral part of the state and local growth management strategy.
- Qualifies Prince George’s County for State Program Open Space grants pursuant to Title 5, Subtitle 9 of the Natural Resources Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland to assist local governments with acquiring and developing parks, recreation, open space, and resource lands.
|Fall 2021||Public Outreach - Parks Survey|
|Fall 2021||Public Outreach - Town Hall Meetings|
|Spring & Fall 2021||Plan Development|
|Winter 2021||Draft Plan to Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR)|
|Spring 2022||Notify Planning Board of LPPRP and Submittal to DNR|
|July 1, 2022||Submit Plan to Maryland Department of Natural Resources|
View the previous version: 2017 Land Preservation Parks and Recreation Plan (PDF).